- While your family loves you and wants what’s best for you, the decision to continue or end your relationship is yours (and your partner’s) entirely.
- Hear your family out: consider why they want you to end the relationship, and if you really think it’s worth ending or working on. Also think about how you got the STI.
- Make the decision yourself based on the information and reasoning from your family and explain your choice to them.
- Whatever choice you make is okay—just don’t sacrifice your relationship with your family to maintain a relationship they don’t support.
- All relationships ultimately boil down to communication, and it’s up to everyone to make it clear, constructive, respectful and understanding.
Here are some helpful ways to start a conversation.