Abstinence is defined as not engaging in any sexual activity!
Choosing to not have sex is the only guaranteed way to avoid pregnancy and STIs. You just have to stick with it 100% of the time!
Things to know about abstinence
What You Need:
- Communication: Set boundaries with your partner and try not to be afraid to speak your mind
- Support: You and your partner need to be on the same page, and they must support and respect your wishes not to have sex.
Other Helpful TIPS:
- Avoid putting yourself in situations where it’ll be hard to stick to your decision
- Find people you can talk to about your decision and lean on their support.
- Talk about your decision with your partner well before you’re in the heat of the moment.
- Be totally straightforward and clear about your limits.
- Explore other sexual options you might enjoy just as much.
- If abstinence isn’t working for you anymore, you should look into using protection. Use our Birth Control Tool to help you find the protection that works best for you.
Explore Birth Control Options