- Abstinence can mean different things for different people, but generally it means no sexual contact of any kind, including oral, anal or vaginal sex.
- When used consistently, abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy and STI’s.
- Explain to your family why you have chosen abstinence and why is it important to you.
- Ask your family to help you work on a plan to help you remain abstinent.
- If you have a partner, ask your family tips on how to talk to him/her about your decision to be abstinent, and what are some activities, beside sex, that you and your partner can enjoy together.
- Ask your family about their experiences if and when they ever chose to be abstinent. What were the benefits? What were the challenges?
Here are some helpful ways to start a conversation.